Dental implants, which are undoubtedly the best alternative to natural teeth, offer better chewing and speaking function than traditional bridges and dentures, giving your face an aesthetic and natural appearance.
- What is dental implant ?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root placed in the jawbone and made of a suitable material to restore the function and aesthetics of one or more teeth missing. The laying of an artificial tooth maintain the bone without affecting the neigboring teeth or the jaw and ables to fix a dental prosthesis that will replace a tooth identically by its function and its aesthetical aspects.
- When is a dental implant needed?
When one or several teeth are missing or damaged, it has not only aesthetical consequences, but it can also jeopardise your health. Gingival inflammation, headaches, decay or shifting of the other teeth, tooth grinding, digestion problems or pain in the mandibular articulation… In most of the cases, implantology is strongly recommended.
- Can everyone have an implant ?
All patients, above 18 years old who have missing teeth and in good health condition can get dental implants. In addition to that, the patient’s bone structure should be eligible for the implant treatment.
*** Teenager patients should have reached their skeletal maturity. In other words, their jawbone should be fully developed and will not have any more ‘’growth spurts’’.
***There is no upper age limitations.
- In which situations does implant treatment have risks ?
A general medical evaluation should be made in order to perform implant treatment for the patients with following health problems ;
- Chronic cardiovasculer diseases,
- Use of blood thinners,
- Radiotherapy treatment for the head and the neck region,
- Autoimmune disorders,
- Use of corticosteroid group drugs.
***The cances of success of implant treatment decreases in cases of excessive use of smoking, alcohol and drug addiction.
5 What are the advantages of implant application ?
- Implant is the closest treatement methode to the natural tooth structure,
- The implant does not harm the other teeth adjacent to the space in which it is placed,
- Perform the eating fonction with the quality of the natural teeth,
- Implant is a treatement that can be applied easily to all kinds of missing teeth,
- The implant works just like a natural tooth. It is its comptability with human biology that makes the implant, which is an aesthetic and long-lasting treatement.
- What are the different types implants ? And materials used ?
There are many types of implants available today. But the most commonly used is the screw-shaped type of implant. The types of implants vary depending on the patient’s jawbone and the use of supporting tissue. What are the types of implants:
* Subperiostal implants: These types of implants are prepared by taking measurements from the bone. With these implants, the chewing force is distributed to the entire jawbone. They are in the form of cages. It is one of the most preferred types of implants today.
* Intramucosal inserts: They are one of the types of implants produced from titanium. They are used to increase retention in prostheses, but nowadays they are not much preferred,
* Endostal (endosseous) implants: These are one of the types of implants used in the event of a lack of one or more teeth. It is applied to the inside of the jawbone. It is one of the types of implants that are widely used today. It is divided into three types: screw, blade, cylindrical.
* Endodontic stabilizers: They are one of the types of implant teeth used to fix weak tooth structures. It is used to create a solid jaw structure.
* Transmandibular (transosseous) implants: This is a type of implant used to eliminate deficiencies in bone volume. It is not very preferred nowadays because it is a difficult form of treatment.
All of these types of implants have different characteristics. It is the duty of the dentist to select the implant types suitable for the patient by looking at the surface properties. The success of implant treatment is proportional to the matching of the implant types used to the jawbone.
Two main materials both biocompatible with the human organism, are used in dental surgery with a 100% rate of success : titanium and zircone.
The most commonly use material is titanium however the titane can , very rarely, provoke an allergic reaction. In this case, zircone will be prescribed.
7 How to lay a dental implant ?
The installation of a dental implant is done by a dental surgeon, under local anesthesia. It is conducted after one or several radios and the fabrication of the implants adapted to the patient. An implant can be even layed in 10 minutes with a proper planning. Duration of the application might take longer depending on the patient’s dental and bone structure.
After the dental implant application there is a healing periode for the integration of the dental implant into the jawbone. This periode might take 2-3 months. During this period a temporary prosthesis will be fitted in order to ensure a proper fit. The stitches are removed after one week.
The ultimate phase will consist in the milling of the tailored-made crown or dental prosthesis , and in fixing it to the implant. A pillar is screwed on the implant , to print the artificial tooth and adapt it to the neighboring teeth in the most natural way, by its color, its shape and size. If its feel incomfortable for the patient the crown can be easily removed and remilled for an optimal adaptation.
- How long does a dental implant last ?
Thanks to implemented materials and when the dental operation is conducted accordingly by an experienced implantologist , in the axis of chewing , the dental implant offers an excdeptional resistance , that can last longer than a human life.
Healty and strong gums, a non-corrosive tooth paste and well brushed teeth will guarantee a life-long implant.
On the other hand, an eroded or damaged crown or prosthesis can be replaced after several years , without touching the implant itself.
9 What is the difference with a bridge ?
A bridge replaces a missing or damaged tooth, between two healthy teeth that will serve as pillars for the ceramic artificial tooth. The whole set being held by a metallic bridge. If a bridge is cheaper and easier to install than an implant, it has a limited duration (10 to 15 years maximum). And as opposed to the implant, it carries the risk of bone weakening, since the zone under the bridge is less used during chewing. An implant guarantees a better dental stabilisation, and last a lifetime.
- Why get implants in Turkey ?
As a close and affordable airline destination (less than 3-4 hours from western Europe), the cultural and business capital city of Turkey is a great destination for medical and dental tourism. Dental care fares are much more cheaper compared to UK and to all EU countries, adding to the quality of its tourism infrastructures and the warm welcome of its inhabitants. The professionalism, the experience and the international reputation of its dental surgeons and implantologists, the quality of its medical infrastructures and the use of the most up-to-date dental technics able to consider the laying of implants in total confidence. As we do speak your language, everything becomes easier, from the appointments to post-operation follow-up , choosing the best implantologist or organising your transfers from/to airport- hotel-clinic.The outcome : highest possible levels of satisfaction and smiles regained.